Cabinet reshuffle: Nothing new from scrapyard, says BJP
New Delhi: Mocking the government’s Cabinet reshuffle on Sunday that saw 22 ministers being sworn-in, Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said that the rejig won’t bring in any change as nothing new had turned out from the “scarapyard”.
In what was termed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as probably the last Cabinet reshuffle before the next Lok Sabha polls in 2014, seven Cabinet ministers and 15 Ministers of State were sworn-in today.
Of the seven new Cabinet ministers, two are new faces - former Rajya Sabha deputy chairman K Rahman Khan and Lok Sabha MP Chandresh Kumari Katoch.
President Pranab Mukherjee administered the oath of office to those inducted into the Council of Ministers.
Salman Khurshid has been named as new External Affairs Minister.
Veerappa Moily has moved to the Petroleum Ministry from Corporate Affairs and Jyotiraditya Scindia is now Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power. Sachin Pilot has been named as Minister of State in Corporate Affairs with Independent charge. Pawan Kumar Bansal is new Railways Minister and Jaipal Reddy is new Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences. Jitendra Singh is new MoS (independent charge) Youth Affairs & Sports.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh says the new Cabinet is a mix of youth and experience. Upon being asked about Rahul Gandhi, the PM said that he had always wanted him in government but that the Congress General Secretary wanted to work for the party instead.
Earlier today, IAC activist-turned-politician Arvind Kejriwal scathed the Cabinet reshuffle, terming it as a futile exercise, comparing it with the game of “musical chairs”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore