Cabinet to consider 2013 as Water Conservation Year
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of per capita availability of water falling at a fast pace, the Union Cabinet is likely to consider a proposal to declare 2013 as Water Conservation Year under which awareness programmes will be launched for conservation of the scarce natural resource.
Under the proposal, the Water Resources Ministry will launch a series of programmes among masses, especially children, on water conservation.
While India has more than 18 per cent of the world`s population, it has only 4 per cent of the world`s renewable water resources.
With growing population and rising needs, per capita availability of water is likely to go down from 1545 cubic meter per annum in 2011 to 1341 cubic meter per annum in 2025.
The Cabinet is also likely to consider another proposal of the Law Ministry to carry out a minor amendment to the Parliament (Prevention of Disqualification Act), 1959.
Under the Act, the office of the chairperson of the erstwhile National Commission of Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes does not come under the office of profit.
In the 89th Amendment of the Constitution, it was decided to have a separate National Commission for Scheduled Castes and separate National Commission for Scheduled Tribes.
The erstwhile National Commission for SCs and STs was bifurcated into two different Commissions in December, 2004.
The bifurcation was not reflected in the Prevention of Disqualification Act. Under the proposed amendment, the offices of chairpersons of the two Commissions will be defined separately with retrospective effect to bring clarity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks