Cabinet to meet on Liberhan report leak
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet has been
summoned for an unscheduled meeting on Tuesday morning before
the start of Parliament`s day`s sitting, strengthening
speculation that the government may be pushed to tabling the
Liberhan Commission report on Babri Masjid demolition.
The meeting will be chaired by Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee in the absence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who
is in the US.
There was speculation in political circles that with a
large chunk of the report already in public domain, the
government, which had originally intended to table the report
about a month later, may advance it now.
The government earlier in the day today indicated the
possibility of tabling of the report in Parliament earlier
than expected without adequate copies of the voluminous
Parliamentary Affairs Minister P K Bansal said a
meeting of the Union Cabinet was necessary before tabling the
report as the Action Taken Report has to get the Cabinet`s
Deputy leader of BJP in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj
suggested the Opposition would have no objection if government
only tabled the English version and gave a time-frame for
tabling the Hindi version later.
The leakage of the Commission`s report rocked Parliament
today and Home Minister P Chidambaram assured the Lok Sabha
and the Rajya Sabha that the report would be tabled in the
current session of the House which concludes on December 21.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler