Cabinet to meet Tuesday, may lift Prez Rule in Jharkhand
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet will meet on Tuesday and is likely recommend lifting of President`s Rule in
Jharkhand to pave the way for formation of a new government
there on Wednesday.
The Home Ministry has prepared a note to be placed before
the Cabinet meeting to be chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh, official sources said today.
The Cabinet is likely to recommend to President Pratibha
Patil lifting of the Central rule imposed on January 19 this
Sources said the formality is necessitated following
invitation by Governor K Sankaranaryanan to JMM supremo Shibu
Soren to take oath as Chief Minister on Wednesday.
The Governor today also asked Soren to prove majority in the state Assembly by January 8.
The President has cut short her visit to some southern
states due to unrest in Hyderabad over the formation of
Telangana state and is returning to the national capital
Rashtrapati Bhavan officials had said the departure of the
President to Hyderabad has been deferred as she would like to
be in Delhi at the time when President`s Rule in Jharkhand is
revoked to facilitate installation of a government in the
85-year-old Soren, who will become chief minister for the
third time, will head a four-party coalition that includes the
BJP. The new Soren government, which is taking the BJP support
for the first time, will be the seventh coalition set-up in
the mineral-rich state since its creation in November 2000.
The JMM-led coalition has a support of 44 MLAs in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead