Cabinet to take decision on Food Bill today
New Delhi: After addressing concerns of UPA allies and some Congress members, the Cabinet is expected to meet on Sunday to approve the Food Security Bill that aims to provide legal entitlement to subsidised foodgrain to 63.5 percent of the country`s population.
A decision on the draft Food Bill was deferred in the last Cabinet meet earlier this week, reportedly for want of time and also due to concerns raised by Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar.
In the last two days, Food Minister KV Thomas had met various Cabinet minister seeking to evolve a consensus by explaining the key provisions of the bill in detail to them.
"I have explained the provisions of the Bill to all the members, including those from allies," Thomas said. He expressed the hope that the draft Bill would get the Cabinet approval.
He said once the Cabinet approves the bill, the MINISTRY would finalise the draft Bill and try to introduce it in the Winter Session of Parliament as promised.
After introduction, the Bill is expected to go to Parliamentary Standing Committee and the UPA government would try to get it passed in the Budget session, sources said.
The National Food Security Bill, considered the greatest experiment in the world to provide food security to the poor, is a pet project of Sonia Gandhi-led National Advisory Council. It was a promise made by the Congress Party in its
manifesto of the 2009 general elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information