Cabinet to take up scrapping of EGoMs and GoMs Wednesday
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet will consider on Wednesday the scrapping of 30 EGoMs and GoMs set up by the previous UPA government with an intent of giving a formal approval to a decision taken by Prime Minister Narendra Modi last month.
Dismantling the legacy of UPA rule, Modi had on May 31 abolished all the 30 Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoMs) and Group of Ministers (GoMs) and told ministries and departments concerned to take decisions on pending matters.
The winding up of the ministrial panels is part of the agenda of the Union Cabinet tomorrow, sources said.
Announcing the decision to scrap nine EGoMs and 21 GoMs, the PMO had said this would expedite the process of decision-making and "usher in greater accountability in the system."
The Ministries and Departments will now process the issues pending before EGoMs and GoMs and take appropriate decisions at the level of Ministries and Departments itself, said the statement.
Wherever the ministries face difficulties, the Cabinet Secretariat and the Prime Minister`s Office will facilitate the decision-making process.
Former Defence Minister A K Antony was heading most of the EGoMs. The panels were formed to take decisions on issues like corruption, inter-state water disputes, administrative reforms and gas and telecom pricing.
EGoMs had the power to take decisions on the line of the Union Cabinet. The recommendations of the GoMs were to be placed before the Cabinet for a final call.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam