CAG audit for Rs 88,000 cr rural schemes
New Delhi: All rural development programmes
worth Rs 88,000 crore, including the flagship MNREGA, will
come under the audit of the Comptroller and Auditor General of
India, Parliament was informed on Tuesday.
"You will be happy that for the first time the government
has decided to bring all rural development programmes under
CAG audit," Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh said in
the Rajya Sabha.
He said, "performance audits of the rural development
schemes will be carried out in 12 states and special AGs have
also been appointed for some states."
The minister was replying to a query by Mohan Singh (SP)
whether the Centre has any mechanism to deal with cases where
funds are misused in the states.
Ramesh said he had written to Uttar Pradesh Chief
Minister Mayawati pointing out large misappropriation of funds
in seven districts of the state - a comment that evoked sharp
reaction from members of BSP, which is in power in the state.
The BSP members charged the UPA with deriving political
mileage ahead of the Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections.
After complaints of misuse of central funds in MNREGA
scheme, Ramesh said while the Centre had the option to stop
release of money, he did not favour it.
For a CBI probe, state government`s approval is required
and no state government agrees to it. He said the third option
evolved then was to hold a CAG audit, after consultations with
the auditing watchdog.
On allegations of BSP members that UP was being neglected
in Prime Minister Gramin Sadak Yojna (PMGSY), Ramesh said
villages with a habitation of up to 999 will be connected to
road network under the scheme. After 90 per cent sanction
under first phase, habitations ranging between 600 and 799
will be covered, he said.
On demands that villages with up to 500 habitations should
be covered under the PMSGY, Ramesh said there was a resource
crunch as only Rs 20,000 crore has been allocated for it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure