CAG can`t play the role of cheerleaders: Vinod Rai
Bhubaneswar (Odisha): Maintaining that auditors cannot simply be "cheerleaders", Comptroller and Auditor General of India Vinod Rai on Sunday said their mandate is to hold the government financially accountable to the legislature.
"Our role is not merely to audit the expenditure of government. Our mandate is not merely to prepare Audit Report and place them in Parliament. Our mandate is to hold the government financially accountable to the legislature. We cannot don the role of cheerleaders," Rai said delivering Harekrushna Mahatab memorial lecture here.
Obviously referring to statements of certain politicians in power on the role of CAG in recent years, Rai said CAG`s professional specialisation is to point out sub-optimality in policy formulation, lacuna in policy implementation and to provide constructive suggestions for overcoming inadequacies.
Since young citizenry will seek a voice in administration and policy formulation, Rai said it becomes incumbent upon to audit and to sensitise public opinion on its findings in the course of audit. "We have also taken steps to disseminate our major audit findings in schemes implemented in the social sector through small pamphlets," he said.
Though elected executives is supreme in parliamentary democracy, Rai said the bureaucracy need to be bold and loyal to the Constitution and not to any "individual."
"They (bureaucracy) have to keep the nation in focus and not hold to their `kursi`. The Indian Bureaucracy has all the muscles - at times these turn to fat and get lodged in the wrong places!" Rai remarked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price