CAG comes under fresh attack from Congress
New Delhi: The CAG has come under fresh attack from Congress with Law Minister Salman Khurshid and party spokesperson Manish Tewari questioning its functioning.
Khurshid, writing in the latest issue of the party mouthpiece Congress Sandesh, accused the CAG of computing losses in a "callous manner" and noted that the Rs 1.86 lakh crore figure of undue benefits to private players in coal block allocation arrived by the audit body will stick in public mind.
Coming down heavily on the CAG, Tewari in his article "Why The CAG Is Wrong" said "the CAG does not have the constitutional or legal mandate to make its own policy prescriptions and then utilise them to compute notional or even mythical loss or gain".
"Even when it chooses to do so, it ends up getting it grievously wrong. Headline hunting is a volatile vocation perhaps it is time to end this parody".
In the editorial, too, the journal says that the CAG has not taken the trouble to highlight that these are notional figures of possible profits that the government could have made if an alternate process had been followed.
"Actually the CAG`s report on coal block allocation is hypothetical. Nowhere has the CAG quantified the actual loss or even presumptive loss," it said.
The journal also features Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s statement on coal block allocation as well as analysis done by the party on the CAG report.
The latest issue of Congress Sandesh came a day after the Supreme Court yesterday held that auction is not the only method for allocating natural resources to private companies and made it clear that its 2G verdict was confined to spectrum and not to other resources.
At the AICC briefing, party spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary today said that it will be good even for the CAG to see what the apext court had had said. "CAG should introspect on what they have observed," she said.
In the evening, party top brass including Prime Minister manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi had deliberations at the Core Group meeting, the first after the court order on auction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM