CAG conscience keeper of govt: Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi: The office of Comptroller and Auditor General, which hogged limelight for coming up with presumptive loss figures in 2G, CWG and Coal blocks allocation scams, was today termed by President Pranab Mukherjee as the "conscience keeper" of the government.
Mukherjee also said the job of CAG officers is to act like watchdog of the government.
He was addressing a group of 20 Officer Trainees of Indian Audit and Account Service including two Officer Trainees from Royal Audit Authority of Bhutan at Rashtrapati Bhavan here.
"He told the probationers that their organisation is the government`s conscience keeper and their job is to serve as the watchdog of the government", a statement from Rashtrapati Bhavan said.
Mukherjee said the probationers have joined a department whose history goes back to more than 150 years.
In 1857, the General Department of Accounts was created and many decades later, the Department has grown and strengthened its position in the governance framework in the country, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now