CAG deposes before JPC, stands by 2G loss figure
New Delhi: With the debate over the real loss incurred in the 2G spectrum allocation scam reviving, the Comptroller and Auditor General of India, Vinod Rai on Tuesday deposed before the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) probing the scam.
While there was no official word on the proceedings of the deposition, reports said Rai defended his report on the 2G scam saying there was no question of backtracking on the loss estimates and that that lead auditor RP Singh was party to it.
According to sources, Rai explained to the JPC members how CAG arrived at the presumptive loss figure of Rs 1.76 lakh crores suffered due to the 2G scam.
Rai is reported to have also dismissed Congress leader Digvijay Singh’s claims that PAC chairman and BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi had tried to influence the CAG on its 2G report.
On Monday, while deposing before the JPC, RP Singh - one of the key authors of the controversial telecom audit report by the CAG - told the Parliamentary Committee that the presumptive loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crores was only a “mathematical guess” and inconclusive.
Singh, former director general of audit, posts and telecommunication, told members of the multi-party Parliamentary probe panel that the loss suffered in the sale of scarce radiowave spectrum was only Rs 2,645 crore.
Singh, who was supervising the telecom audit, told the JPC that he had not quantified in his draft report the losses due to non-auctioning of telecom spectrum because it was “unsolicited”.
Singh told the JPC that loss suffered due to the 2G scam could not be calculated because the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India had never recommended the auction of the second generation spectrum.
It was earlier alleged that Singh signed the final controversial telecom audit report of 2008 because “he was asked to do so by his seniors”.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram