CAG did disservice by tossing `mythical` numbers: Manish Tewari
New Delhi: Taking on CAG Vinod Rai over the 2G spectrum loss figure of Rs 1.76 lakh crore, Union Minister Manish Tewari today said the chief auditor had done a "disservice" to the India story by bringing out "hugely exaggerated and mythical numbers" in public discourse.
Tewari also invited Rai to a public debate over the loss estimate in the allocation of 2G spectrum.
"We`ve seen this great debate around certain hugely exaggerated and mythical numbers which have been thrown in public debate by certain very responsible institutions and functionaries. And with due respect, because the gentleman is supposed to retire the day after... I think when institutions start indulging in fiction writing that is the greatest disservice that can possibly be done to an issue," he said.
The minister was speaking at an event here organised by the Observer Research Foundation.
"I think the CAG over the past six years, with all due respects to him, has done the greatest disservice to the India story by tossing mythical numbers into the public space which had no relation to reality," Tewari added.
Later, Tewari speaking to reporters wondered why Rs 1.76 lakh crore was not generated in the 2G auction and invited Rai to a public debate on the issue.
"The (CAG) report had said that if an auction is held, it would yield a revenue to the tune of Rs 1 lakh 76 thousand crore.
The fact is that an auction was held. But where is that Rs 1 lakh 76 thousand crore?" Tewari asked.
"Now that the CAG is retiring, he is giving full fledged interviews, he`ll have time on his hands. So all I am requesting is that at a time and place of his choosing, he can even do it a month or two later -- once he settles down after retirement, lets have a full fledged public debate on his 2G report and let the people judge for themselves," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you