CAG for directorate of social audit in states for MGNREGA
New Delhi: Entrusted with the task of improving the social audit process in MGNREGA following reports of malpractices and corruption, the Comptroller and
Auditor General has recommended to the states to set up directorates to train auditors from civil society.
The audit watchdog has recommended this as part of the new audit regime that is likely to scrutinise the flow of hundreds of crores of rupees spent on schemes under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act.
"Setting up of directorates to train auditors from civil society is one of the key recommendations made by the CAG to the Rural Development Ministry. Its suggestions have been moved to the Law Ministry and are most likely to be accepted," a ministry official said on condition of anonymity.
According to CAG`s recommendations, a nominee of the government auditor would be present in social audits that gram sabhas would conduct twice a year.
"CAG would also do an annual audit as part of its mandate. Coupled with the rigour of CAG`s accounting, the exercise would also bring in the new concept of social audit into mainstream," the official explained.
Preparing a fresh audit regime was necessitated after the ministry admitted to lacunae in the auditing process and that since MGNREGA was a scheme implemented by state governments independently, the presence of a directorate would certainly go a long way in making the entire process transparent.
The CAG is also learnt to have recommended that states adopt the social auditing process followed by Andhra Pradesh, as it has turned out to be highly successful due to its transparency and recovery mechanism.
National Advisory Council (NAC) member Aruna Roy welcomed the CAG`s recommendations and said, "Andhra Pradesh established an independent and autonomous body under the name of Society for Social Audit, Accountability and Transparency (SSAAT) which is responsible for facilitating conduct of
social audit by the rural poor."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’