CAG office rubbishes former 2G auditor`s claims
New Delhi: The office of the Comptroller and Auditor General Friday refused to join issue over a former auditor`s claims on 2G spectrum allocation that have sparked a political row, saying it does not react to media reports.
"We do not react to media reports about our reports," a CAG official said.
RP Singh, who was Director General of Audit with the CAG of India, in an interview with a private television channel Thursday claimed that the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party`s senior leader Murli Manohar Joshi as the chief of the parliamentary panel inquiring the 2G scam had spoken to CAG officials a day before the 2G report was released.
Singh also in the interview questioned the CAG`s estimate of the presumptive loss of Rs.1.76 lakh crore in the 2G spectrum allocation. He said the loss due to the first-come-first-served policy then followed by the government was Rs.37,000 crore and this too was entirely "recoverable".
Rubbishing all this, the CAG official said, "The CAG report in question (the Rs.1.76 lakh crore loss) bears the counter signature of RP Singh who was the DG and was the auditor concerned for the telecom sector."
Singh`s claims, however, have provided fodder for the ruling Congress party to go on the offensive on the 2G scam and attack the BJP and the CAG.
After a meeting of the Congress core group, Sonia Gandhi said she thought the BJP has been "exposed".
The Left also said the BJP as well as the CAG should respond to the allegation.
But Joshi, who heads the Public Accounts Committee, said: "This man (Singh) himself presented the report to the PAC. Why didn`t he say that he did not agree at that time. All this is an attempt by the government to malign the CAG and RP Singh is a part of that attempt. "
"The government is targeting the institution of the CAG to hide its own misdemeanours. It is a part of that campaign," Joshi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day