CAG office rubbishes former 2G auditor`s claims
New Delhi: The office of the Comptroller and Auditor General Friday refused to join issue over a former auditor`s claims on 2G spectrum allocation that have sparked a political row, saying it does not react to media reports.
"We do not react to media reports about our reports," a CAG official said.
RP Singh, who was Director General of Audit with the CAG of India, in an interview with a private television channel Thursday claimed that the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party`s senior leader Murli Manohar Joshi as the chief of the parliamentary panel inquiring the 2G scam had spoken to CAG officials a day before the 2G report was released.
Singh also in the interview questioned the CAG`s estimate of the presumptive loss of Rs.1.76 lakh crore in the 2G spectrum allocation. He said the loss due to the first-come-first-served policy then followed by the government was Rs.37,000 crore and this too was entirely "recoverable".
Rubbishing all this, the CAG official said, "The CAG report in question (the Rs.1.76 lakh crore loss) bears the counter signature of RP Singh who was the DG and was the auditor concerned for the telecom sector."
Singh`s claims, however, have provided fodder for the ruling Congress party to go on the offensive on the 2G scam and attack the BJP and the CAG.
After a meeting of the Congress core group, Sonia Gandhi said she thought the BJP has been "exposed".
The Left also said the BJP as well as the CAG should respond to the allegation.
But Joshi, who heads the Public Accounts Committee, said: "This man (Singh) himself presented the report to the PAC. Why didn`t he say that he did not agree at that time. All this is an attempt by the government to malign the CAG and RP Singh is a part of that attempt. "
"The government is targeting the institution of the CAG to hide its own misdemeanours. It is a part of that campaign," Joshi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Iulia Vantur celebrated her birthday with this Bollywood celebrity – Pics inside
- Tour de France 2016: After third title, Chris Froome focuses on Rio Olympics 2016
- Vijay Mallya's 8 luxury cars to be auctioned today
- Journalists visa row: There'll be 'serious consequences', China warns India
- Protests over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew in south Kashmir to prevent separatist called march