CAG raps Home Ministry, wireless wing for spectrum
New Delhi: The CAG has rapped Home Ministry
and its police wireless wing for incurring an "avoidable
expenditure" of Rs 13 crore towards spectrum charges for Multi
Access Radio Telephones (MART) and said the project has failed
to deliver even eight years after award of work.
MART is an essential component for the functioning of the
Police network-- also called POLNET.
"The reply (from the Directorate of Coordination Police
Wireless) confirms the audit conclusion of the failure of the
Ministry (of Home) to undertake feasibility study to assess
the suitability of the MART technology with reference to the
existing locations of police stations and embarking on the
project without ensuring the availability of site readiness.
"The purpose of the project of achieving a national police
network to provide connectivity to all police stations in the
country with state capitals, district headquarters and the
national capital was not fulfilled even after eight years of
award of work and incurring expenditure of Rs 94.57 crore,"
the CAG report tabled in the Parliament said.
"Further, the Ministry also incurred avoidable expenditure
of Rs 13.08 crore on account of spectrum charges for
un-installed BSUs and RSUs, MART," the report said calling it
an "unfruitful expenditure".
BSUs and RSUs are acronyms for Base Station Units and
Remote Station Units respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray