CAG report: Govt comment after PAC`s decision
New Delhi: Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid on Monday said the government will take a stand on the Comptroller and Auditor General`s (CAG) report on irregularities in the Commonwealth Games (CWG) only after the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) examines it.
"The CAG report is an audit and it has to be examined by the PAC. The PAC has not taken a position on it, it`s just the chairman who has circulated something... the government will take a stand after that," Khurshid told reporters.
Murli Manohar Joshi, chairman of the PAC and a senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader, circulated a reworked report among PAC members on Saturday.
The report questions the role of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the then finance minister P Chidambaram in the allocation of 2G spectrum which allegedly resulted in the loss of crores of rupees to the national exchequer.
The report is set to provide more ammunition to a combative opposition determined to pin down the government over a slew of corruption charges, including irregularities in the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
Refusing to compare the former BS Yeddyurrapa government in Karnataka with the Sheila Diskhit government in the capital on counts of corruption, Khurshid said: "Yeddyurrapa and Sheila Dikshit`s government cannot be compared because they are different situations."
"In case of Yeddyurrapa, it was the Lokayukta report. In this case, this was the CAG report. CAG is an audit and has to be examined by the PAC. Lokayukta report is not examined by the PAC. So it`s not right to compare the two," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog