CAG should plug leaks from his office: Digvijaya
New Delhi: Congress leader Digvijaya Singh Thursday hit out at the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) for his "valuable advice" on providing constitutional backing for the CBI and the CVC but wondered why he was not taking steps to "stop leaks of reports" from his office.
He was addressing reporters a day after CAG Vinod Rai said the Central Bureau of Investigation and the Central Vigilance Commission should be given constitutional backing to enable them to function independently.
The CAG keeps giving the government "valuable advice" but "why is he not doing anything to stop the leaks of reports", Digvijaya Singh said.
He added that Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi had been pressing for constitutional status for the Lokpal, "but the BJP is opposed to it".
Digvijay Singh had tweeted a few days ago: "CAG interim report again leaked. Would CAG instead of sermonising every one please look into his Leaky Office."
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) spokesperson Prakash Javdekar said that the CAG`s suggestions, made at the World Economic Forum Wednesday evening, were important.
"That the CBI and CVC need to be given constitutional status is an important suggestion, and the nation must debate on it," said Javdekar.
The government is under attack for alleged corruption in the allocation of 2G spectrum and coal blocks following leakage of the CAG`s report that it had led to huge losses for the exchequer.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference