CAG slams Army for quality of food given to troops in J&K, NE
New Delhi: The Comptroller and Auditor General
today slammed the Army for the poor quality of food items
supplied to troops in Jammu and Kashmir and the northeast,
noting that the rations had rotted in some cases.
It also criticised the procurement process for vegetables,
fruits and meat, pointing out that a single vendor situation
had created the risk of cartels taking advantage of the
lacunae in the system of purchases.
In its audit report for 2010-11 on the `Supply Chain
Management of Rations in Indian Army` between 2005 and 2008
presented to Parliament, the CAG said in nearly 100 per cent
samples of food items it had tested, the products` storage
life had expired beyond the permissible limit for human
"Audit found that of the 11,346 samples of ration sent to
three Central Forensic Labs for extension of the Estimated
Storage Life (ESL), extension was granted in respect of 11,330
cases. Thus, in almost all the cases, extension was granted,"
the report said.
The food items supplied to the troops had violated the
instructions of the Director General of Supplies and Transport
(DGST) in 2005, under which the edibles were to be supplied
only up to three months of expiry of its prescribed ESL.
"However, the CFL in Jammu, which covers the whole of
Northern Command and some parts of Western Command was found
to grant extension well beyond three months of prescribed ESL,
in some cases even up to 28 months. It was found that atta,
sugar, rice, tea, dal, edible oil and raisins were consumed
even six to 28 months after the expiry of their normal ESL,"
the report said.
The CAG recommended that to ensure supply of good quality
rations to troops, the Defence Ministry and the Army should
set a time limit for extension of ESL by taking into account
the climatic conditions, beyond which under any circumstances,
ESL of food items should not be extended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Yuvraj Singh: Onus on Sunrisers Hyderabad's all-rounder to guide Warner & Co to IPL final vs RCB
- Moved on after Twitter-spat with Irani: Priyanka Chaturvedi
- Speculation abounds over new Taliban chief`s leaked photo
- Watch video: This is just not the way this cat's humans expected it to behave on seeing a rat!
- There are 'no good or bad terrorists': Pranab Mukherjee tells Xi Jinping