CAG slams NDMA functioning, calls it `ineffective`
New Delhi: The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has drawn flak from the CAG which said the apex planning and supervising body in handling calamity has been found to be ineffective in most of the key areas.
In its performance audit report, the Comptroller and Auditor General of India said it has found that despite considerable progress in setting up institutions and creating funding arrangements, there are critical gaps in the preparedness level for various disasters.
"The NDMA, which was conceived as the apex planning and supervising body, was found ineffective in its functioning in most of the core areas.
"It neither had information and control over the progress of work at the state level nor was it successful in implementation of various projects," the CAG said in its report tabled in Parliament.
The auditor said coordination between NDMA and nodal ministries for various disasters need to be improved and roles and responsibilities amongst the apex bodies at the national level need to be clearly specified.
It said the system which came into effect in preparedness level for various disasters after the Disaster Management Act 2005 was yet to achieve its desired impact.
The CAG said the National Executive Committee had not met after May 2008, although the country faced many disasters since then and this had affected the evaluation of the disaster preparedness at all levels of government.
The CAG said the performance of NDMA in terms of project implementation had been abysmal. So far, no major project taken up by NDMA had seen completion.
"It was noticed that NDMA selected projects without proper ground work and as a result either the projects were abandoned midway or were incomplete after considerable period.
"In many cases, NDMA realised midway that some other agency was already executing projects with similar objectives," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly