CAG takes on PM; says never transgressed mandate
New Delhi: In an unprecedented move, the Controller and Auditor General (CAG) of India, Vinod Rai has written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, protesting his statements during a meet with the editors in very strong words.
According to reports, the CAG’s letter states that he has never exceeded his brief as suggested by the Prime Minister.
Though, Rai has met PM Singh after this letter, this communication is all set to escalate the tension between Congress and the CAG.
According to reports, the PM was quoted as saying, “Never has a Comptroller and Auditor General held a press conference as the present CAG has done."
He had also said, “It was not right for the CAG to go into issues which are not its concern. It wasn`t the CAG`s business to comment on policy issues".
Clarifying his stand, the CAG reportedly wrote, “We follow the mandate given by the Parliament and we have not transgressed our mandate.”
Defending the office of CAG in his letter, Rai wrote, “The CAG had never commented on policy issues.”
The CAG also, reportedly alleged that the Department of Telecommunications under A Raja ignored the Ministry of Finance over 2G spectrum allocation issue and even refused to abide by the PM’s own suggestions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...