CAG to audit NRHM spending by states: Govt
New Delhi: Government Friday announced that the Comptroller and Auditor General will audit the fund allocations under the National Rural Health Mission in the wake of the multi-crore NRHM scam in Uttar Pradesh.
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad told the Lok Sabha that following irregularities found in UP and other states, the Centre had asked the CAG to audit the funds allocated under NRHM.
"The CAG has agreed to it...It will audit future allocations and let us see if it can audit the past records too," he said in reply to discussion on Demand for Grants for the Health and Family Welfare Ministry.
Azad also announced that the NRHM scheme started seven years ago will continue for the next five years following an approval by the Union Cabinet last night.
Referring to the scam, he said the magnitude of irregularities in UP was "according to its size" and similar irregularities have been reported from other states also.
Asserting that government will take stringent measures to check the problem, Azad said state governments as well as officials will have to account for each paisa spent under the scheme.
The CAG does not audit funds spent by states under NRHM, but it has been done in the case of UP following the scam.
The minister said measures like statutory audit, model accounting handbook, and e-banking have been adopted during the last two years to streamline the system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof