CAG to audit Rural Devt Ministry schemes: Ramesh
Raipur: Union Rural Development Minister
Jairam Ramesh has said schemes under his ministry would be
audited through the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG).
The ministry spends Rs one lakh crore for rural
development every year and citizens have the right to know how
the money is being spent, he told reporters here on Wednesday.
The Congress leader, who was on the tour of Naxal-hit
areas of the state, conceded that there has been corruption in
the MNREGA and Prime Minister`s rural road scheme.
Ramesh stated that the Centre had decided to give
additional funds to Chhattisgarh for development works.
On Naxalism, Ramesh said it cannot be tackled only through
force but development of the affected areas and generation of
employment opportunities for the youth was also necessary.
To boost development in such areas, junior engineers and
development officers would be recruited at the panchayat level
and the youth would be given priority in recruitment, he
The Union Minister said from now onwards additional funds
for development in Naxal areas would be disbursed blockwise.
Earlier, the money was allocated if the entire district
was declared Naxal-affected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'