CAG to take view on probing Adarsh scam shortly: Vinod Rai
New Delhi: Government auditor CAG Wednesday said
it will shortly take a view on probing the Adarsh housing
scam, which led to the ouster of Maharashtra Chief Minister
"We will take a view on that (probing the Adarsh housing
scam) in due course," Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG)
Vinod Rai told reporters when asked if the CAG was looking at
Contrary to some media reports, he clarified that at
present CAG "was not auditing the Adarsh Housing Society
Rai was talking to reporters after inaugurating the new
logo of the Indian Audit and Accounts Department.
A controversy had erupted last month over how the Adarsh
Housing Society, originally meant to be a six-storey structure
to house Kargil war heroes and widows, got converted into a
31-storey tower through alleged collusion of bureaucrats,
politicians and top defence officers.
The controversy fundamentally hinges around whether the
plot of land belonged to the army or to the state government.
The Mumbai housing scam came as an embarrassment to the
Congress party, which accepted the resignation of state Chief
Minister Ashok Chavan. He will be replaced by Prithviraj
Chavan, currently Minister of State in the Prime Minister`s
Yesterday, Defence Minister A K Antony had ordered CBI
probe to fix responsibility of the Armed Forces and Defence
Estates officers in the Housing society scam.
Also, Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh said he expected
some action to be taken by his department against the upscale
Adarsh Housing Society in the "next two to three days" for
alleged violation of environmental norms.
Soon after the scam came to light, the Defence Ministry
had asked the Army, Navy and the Defence Estates to submit a
report on the issue.
The preliminary findings of the ministry`s probe
brought out "criminal conspiracy" at the local level in Army
and Defence Estates to alienate the land, which was in Army`s
possession till 1999-2000, in favour of the Housing Society.
Also, over 40 officers from the armed forces and
Defence Estates, too, had got flats allotted in the society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31