CAG under attack: BJP demands President’s intervention
New Delhi: Senior BJP leaders LK Advani, Arun Jaitley, Sushma Swaraj Murli Manohar Joshi met President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday and submitted a memorandum on the coalgate and the government’s attack on the CAG.
Speaking to the press after the meeting, Advani said they requested the President to intervene as the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) was coming under attack from the government over its report in the coal blocks allocation irregularities.
Advani said the PM and his ministers’ attack on the CAG was saddening.
“If the PM speaks like this, then the members of his government get a free licence to do the same,” the senior BJP leader rued.
Advani said the government was neck-deep in corruption, and sought a special probe into the coal blocks allocation scam.
He said the President had assured them of suitable action on their demands.
“We requested that while our battle against the government on corruption will continue in Parliament and outside, his (President’s) duty was to intervene if any Constitutional institution was coming under attack,” Advani said.
The BJP has been demanding Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s resignation, cancellation of coal blocks, and a fair probe into the matter.
On Tuesday, the Congress had challenged the BJP for a public debate on the coal block allocation.
“If anyone has personal or professional interest, then the question ought to be directed at them. On the bigger question of allotment of coal blocks and CAG’s presumptive loss, the party is ready to discuss in detail. If BJP has power, then it should come forward for a public debate on the issue which will expose whose face gets blackened by Coalgate,” Congress spokesman Manish Tewari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional