CAG under attack: BJP demands President’s intervention
New Delhi: Senior BJP leaders LK Advani, Arun Jaitley, Sushma Swaraj Murli Manohar Joshi met President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday and submitted a memorandum on the coalgate and the government’s attack on the CAG.
Speaking to the press after the meeting, Advani said they requested the President to intervene as the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) was coming under attack from the government over its report in the coal blocks allocation irregularities.
Advani said the PM and his ministers’ attack on the CAG was saddening.
“If the PM speaks like this, then the members of his government get a free licence to do the same,” the senior BJP leader rued.
Advani said the government was neck-deep in corruption, and sought a special probe into the coal blocks allocation scam.
He said the President had assured them of suitable action on their demands.
“We requested that while our battle against the government on corruption will continue in Parliament and outside, his (President’s) duty was to intervene if any Constitutional institution was coming under attack,” Advani said.
The BJP has been demanding Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s resignation, cancellation of coal blocks, and a fair probe into the matter.
On Tuesday, the Congress had challenged the BJP for a public debate on the coal block allocation.
“If anyone has personal or professional interest, then the question ought to be directed at them. On the bigger question of allotment of coal blocks and CAG’s presumptive loss, the party is ready to discuss in detail. If BJP has power, then it should come forward for a public debate on the issue which will expose whose face gets blackened by Coalgate,” Congress spokesman Manish Tewari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing