CAG Vinod Rai has political ambitions: Digvijay
New Delhi: At a time when the Congress is facing a stiff political battle over auditor’s report on coal blocks allocation, party general secretary opened a new front against Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Vinod Rai by accusing him of harbouring political ambitions.
Digvijay equated Rai with one his predecessors TN Chaturvedi, who had in 1989 brought out a report on Bofors gun bought by Rajiv Gandhi and upon retirement joined the BJP.
“The way the CAG is going, it is clear he has political ambitions like TN Chaturvedi. He has been giving notional and fictional figures that have no relevance to facts. How has he computed these figures? He is talking through his hat,” Singh said in an interview to The Indian Express.
After joining BJP, Chaturvedi rose to become a Member of Parliament and was also appointed as governor of Karnataka.
Singh’s scathing attack gains importance as it is the first time a senior Congress leader has openly attacked Vinod Rai.
The CAG, in its report, has said that lack of transparency in allocation of coal blocks to private players resulted in a notional loss of Rs.1.85 lakh crore (USD 37 billion) to the exchequer.
The report also mentioned that the mines were distributed to persons who don’t have any experience in coal mining, thus clearly indicating that there might be some beneficiaries who might be close to some influential people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say