`Caged parrot` CBI hopes to get wings in the new year 2014
New Delhi: The probe into coal block allocation scam, which got CBI the sobriquet of "caged parrot" from the Supreme Court and saw the exit of Law Minister Ashwani Kumar over his alleged interference, marked the agency`s functioning during a tumultuous year for it.
The passage of the Lokpal Bill by Parliament this year is likely to bring a major change in the working of CBI since the Supreme Court order in the Vineet Narain case in 1997 which had brought in the supervision of Central Vigilance Commission and gave CBI chief a fixed tenure of two years aimed at freeing the agency from the clutches of bureaucracy.
The angry comments of the apex court not only claimed the ministerial scalp of Kumar but also set in motion the modalities for the autonomy of the agency, which according to Supreme Court, has become "voice of its political masters".
The battered government scrambled its best brains in the Cabinet to constitute a group of ministers, which met a number of times, and came up with suggestions to give only "functional autonomy" to the agency.
The financial powers of the CBI Director were given a significant boost but Centre did not agree to give him rank and powers on par with the Secretary of the government of India.
The proposed Lokpal will have powers to refer cases to CBI and keep an eye on the ongoing probe. It will also have powers to transfer officers who will be probing cases referred by it.
Senior officials of the agency agree that new rules of procedure would be required for this change in working.
Even as clamour for giving autonomy to CBI was going on, the agency carried out a major search operation and arrested Vijay Singla, nephew of the then Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal, and Railway Board member Mahesh Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing