CAG’s coal bomb: BJP for SC monitored probe
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday served a notice in Parliament demanding suspension of the Question Hour today amidst a report published in a leading newspaper, saying that the Comptroller & Auditor General (CAG) in its draft report on coal mining in the country has accused the government of having given “undue benefits" to a number of companies leading to a loss of Rs 10.67 lakh crore to the national exchequer.
Speaking to reporters, BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said, “The coal scam is a very serious scam and it is more serious than the 2G spectrum scam."
“We have submitted a notice demanding suspension of the Question Hour. Our party leaders are meeting in a short while and decide on future course of action,” Javadekar said.
The BJP leader held Prime Minister Manmohan Singh responsible for the scam and called for the government’s resignation.
Javadekar further called for the Supreme Court monitored investigation in the case, saying that there is no point if Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probes the matter alone.
“We want CVC and CBI probe which should be done under SC’s jurisdiction,” the BJP leader said.
The CAG report says that the government incurred the loss as coal blocks were not auctioned between 2004 and 2009, a newspaper reported today.
The CAG draft report titled `Performance Audit of Coal Block Allocations` said that the beneficiaries include some 100 private companies, as well as some Public Sector Units (power, steel and cement).
Of the estimated loss of Rs 10.67 lakh crore, private firms cornered more than Rs 4.79 lakh crore while around Rs 5.88 lakh crore went to the PSUs, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Sachin Tendulkar fans fume after Kumar Sangakkara omits 'God of Cricket' from all-time XI
- China to feel Brexit effects, yuan to weaken against dollar: JP Morgan
- As Central India faces drought, violence and murders on the rise over water
- Baby boom! Teejay Sidhu and Karanvir Bohra to become parents for the first time
- Tripura Governor gets additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh