CAG’s coal bomb: BJP for SC monitored probe
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday served a notice in Parliament demanding suspension of the Question Hour today amidst a report published in a leading newspaper, saying that the Comptroller & Auditor General (CAG) in its draft report on coal mining in the country has accused the government of having given “undue benefits" to a number of companies leading to a loss of Rs 10.67 lakh crore to the national exchequer.
Speaking to reporters, BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said, “The coal scam is a very serious scam and it is more serious than the 2G spectrum scam."
“We have submitted a notice demanding suspension of the Question Hour. Our party leaders are meeting in a short while and decide on future course of action,” Javadekar said.
The BJP leader held Prime Minister Manmohan Singh responsible for the scam and called for the government’s resignation.
Javadekar further called for the Supreme Court monitored investigation in the case, saying that there is no point if Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probes the matter alone.
“We want CVC and CBI probe which should be done under SC’s jurisdiction,” the BJP leader said.
The CAG report says that the government incurred the loss as coal blocks were not auctioned between 2004 and 2009, a newspaper reported today.
The CAG draft report titled `Performance Audit of Coal Block Allocations` said that the beneficiaries include some 100 private companies, as well as some Public Sector Units (power, steel and cement).
Of the estimated loss of Rs 10.67 lakh crore, private firms cornered more than Rs 4.79 lakh crore while around Rs 5.88 lakh crore went to the PSUs, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor