Call urgent meeting of NIC on UP clashes: Sharad Yadav to PM
Srinagar: Janata Dal(U) chief Sharad Yadav on Tuesday asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to convene an urgent meeting of the National Integration Council (NIC) in view of communal clashes in Uttar Pradesh`s Muzaffarnagar district.
"The Prime Minister should convene an urgent meeting of the NIC for framing a response to the situation," he told reporters here.
Yadav said some elements were trying to polarise the situation in some parts of the country ahead of next year`s Lok Sabha elections.
"These things happen when polls are around the corner. We should frame a strategy that such incidents do not recur," he said.
The secular forces in the country should play their role in maintaining communal harmony, the JD(U) leader said.
On Zubin Mehta`s concert in the Valley, Yadav said he should have played his orchestra in Delhi also.
Referring to separatist outfits, he said they should take to ballot for getting their grievances redressed as guns could not resolve any issue.
"They have the example of Nepal where Maoists ran a parallel government for 15 years. They opted for ballot and came to power. I do not see any reason why that cannot happen here," he said.
Yadav condemned the killing of four persons in CRPF firing in Shopian district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read