Cambridge University rules out opening campus in India
Chandigarh: Cambridge University on Thursday said it was strengthening partnerships with Indian institutions, but was not looking to establish a campus in the country.
"The University is not considering opening up a campus in India," Vice-Chancellor, Sir Leszek Borysiewiczh, told reporters here.
Ruling out a compromise on students intake from India, he said there was no possibility of inking tie-ups with undergraduate institutions in the country.
However, projects have been taken up to build partnerships with Indian institutions, he said.
Cambridge University, which has tie-ups with five institutes here for Post Graduate programmes, was "getting rich talent from India."
At present, the University had 270 active projects with Indian institutions and the focus was on areas of excellence.
244 students of Indian origin were pursuing higher education at Cambridge University, he said.
Earlier, Shiromani Gurudwara Parbhandhak Committee (SGPC) president, Avtar Singh Makkar, said as part of an agreement between SGPC and the University in 2009, five Sikh scholars will pursue M Phil/Phd at Cambridge each year.
The total expenses, including fee and boarding amounting to Rs 18 lakh per student per year approximately, will be shared equally by the SGPC and Cambridge University.
Two Sikh scholars, Ravpartap Singh from Chandigarh (Legal Studies) and Shinjni Singh from Lucknow (Asian Development Studies), have been selected for the Phd programme this year.
As other such scholars, they will have to teach in an SGPC-run institution for three years after completing the higher degree, Makkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview