Cambridge University rules out opening campus in India
Chandigarh: Cambridge University on Thursday said it was strengthening partnerships with Indian institutions, but was not looking to establish a campus in the country.
"The University is not considering opening up a campus in India," Vice-Chancellor, Sir Leszek Borysiewiczh, told reporters here.
Ruling out a compromise on students intake from India, he said there was no possibility of inking tie-ups with undergraduate institutions in the country.
However, projects have been taken up to build partnerships with Indian institutions, he said.
Cambridge University, which has tie-ups with five institutes here for Post Graduate programmes, was "getting rich talent from India."
At present, the University had 270 active projects with Indian institutions and the focus was on areas of excellence.
244 students of Indian origin were pursuing higher education at Cambridge University, he said.
Earlier, Shiromani Gurudwara Parbhandhak Committee (SGPC) president, Avtar Singh Makkar, said as part of an agreement between SGPC and the University in 2009, five Sikh scholars will pursue M Phil/Phd at Cambridge each year.
The total expenses, including fee and boarding amounting to Rs 18 lakh per student per year approximately, will be shared equally by the SGPC and Cambridge University.
Two Sikh scholars, Ravpartap Singh from Chandigarh (Legal Studies) and Shinjni Singh from Lucknow (Asian Development Studies), have been selected for the Phd programme this year.
As other such scholars, they will have to teach in an SGPC-run institution for three years after completing the higher degree, Makkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof