Campaign in support of Irom Sharmila begins
Chennai: Around 200 people participated in a `Save Sharmila Week` that began here in support of Manipuri activist Irom Sharmila Chanu to mark International Women`s Day.
Sharmila, a poetess-activist, is on a hunger strike for the last 12 years protesting against the Armed Forces Special Powers Act in force in the northeastern state of Manipur.
"The event attracted around 200 people from all walks of life. There were people from Madurai and Tirunelvelli too. Prominent people and social activists addressed the gathering," CP Rani, founder president, North Madras Women`s Welfare Service Centre, told IANS.
"As Sharmila`s birthday falls on March 14, we decided to organise `Save Sharmila Week` across the country," Imanul Hasan, secretary, Khudai Khidmatgar, told IANS.
He said Khudai Khidmatgar was one of the organisations that was also carrying out a `Save Sharmila Solidarity Campaign`.
According to Hasan, the week-long programme is to make people in other parts of the country aware about Sharmila`s struggle for peace.
Hasan said activists, including him, would be on a fast from March 12-14 in Manipur along with Sharmila.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside