Campaign in support of Irom Sharmila begins
Chennai: Around 200 people participated in a `Save Sharmila Week` that began here in support of Manipuri activist Irom Sharmila Chanu to mark International Women`s Day.
Sharmila, a poetess-activist, is on a hunger strike for the last 12 years protesting against the Armed Forces Special Powers Act in force in the northeastern state of Manipur.
"The event attracted around 200 people from all walks of life. There were people from Madurai and Tirunelvelli too. Prominent people and social activists addressed the gathering," CP Rani, founder president, North Madras Women`s Welfare Service Centre, told IANS.
"As Sharmila`s birthday falls on March 14, we decided to organise `Save Sharmila Week` across the country," Imanul Hasan, secretary, Khudai Khidmatgar, told IANS.
He said Khudai Khidmatgar was one of the organisations that was also carrying out a `Save Sharmila Solidarity Campaign`.
According to Hasan, the week-long programme is to make people in other parts of the country aware about Sharmila`s struggle for peace.
Hasan said activists, including him, would be on a fast from March 12-14 in Manipur along with Sharmila.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America