Campaign in support of Irom Sharmila begins
Chennai: Around 200 people participated in a `Save Sharmila Week` that began here in support of Manipuri activist Irom Sharmila Chanu to mark International Women`s Day.
Sharmila, a poetess-activist, is on a hunger strike for the last 12 years protesting against the Armed Forces Special Powers Act in force in the northeastern state of Manipur.
"The event attracted around 200 people from all walks of life. There were people from Madurai and Tirunelvelli too. Prominent people and social activists addressed the gathering," CP Rani, founder president, North Madras Women`s Welfare Service Centre, told IANS.
"As Sharmila`s birthday falls on March 14, we decided to organise `Save Sharmila Week` across the country," Imanul Hasan, secretary, Khudai Khidmatgar, told IANS.
He said Khudai Khidmatgar was one of the organisations that was also carrying out a `Save Sharmila Solidarity Campaign`.
According to Hasan, the week-long programme is to make people in other parts of the country aware about Sharmila`s struggle for peace.
Hasan said activists, including him, would be on a fast from March 12-14 in Manipur along with Sharmila.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- SHOCKING: When Narsingh Yadav was caught cheating in a Maharashtra police exam!
- Delhi again failed her Nirbhaya, says DCW chief as 14-year-old Dalit rape victim dies
- Check out five stunning Instagram photos of ‘Mohenjo Daro’ beauty Pooja Hegde
- Xiaomi Mi Note 2 likely to be launched today
- Kabir Khan shares pic of stunning location where Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will begin