Can BJP afford to expel Ram Jethmalani?
New Delhi: Adopting a tough stance against maverick lawyer and Rajya Sabha MP Ram Jethmalani for his anti-part rumblings, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Monday may decide to expel him from the party.
Jethmalani has already been suspended from the party for daring the party top brass to act against him on the CBI chief`s appointment issue – he had questioned the party’s opposition to the appointment of Ranjit Sinha as the next CBI director.
Jethmalani had opposed the letter written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh by Sushma Swaraj, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha and Arun Jaitley, Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, asking him to keep the CBI Director`s appointment in abeyance.
Jethmalani had also cross swords with the party over Nitin Gadkari`s continuation as the BJP chief. He had demanded Gadkari’s resignation in the wake of charges of dubious funding of his Purti Group.
Announcing Jethmalani’s suspension, BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain had said, "The party chief has suspended Ram Jethmalani with immediate effect. The process of his suspension has been referred to the party`s parliamentary board."
However, the BJP will find it difficult to expel Jethmalani given his stature as one of the brightest lawyers in the country, who has had many BJP heavyweights as his clients.
A meeting of the BJP parliamentary board has been convened today at 4.30 pm to take a call on Jethmalani’s expulsion.
"Jethmalani`s remarks are meant to help the Congress," Hussain said adding that it was an act of "gross indiscipline".
With the parliamentary board meet today, it is being debated whether the party will also take strict action against party leaders like Yashwant Sinha and Shaturughan Sinha, who have backed Jethmalani, embarrassing the party further.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in