Can come to conclusion only after envoy`s report: Krishna
Bangalore: India can come to a "conclusion" on the killing of its fisherman in firing from a US Navy ship off Dubai coast based on the report of its Ambassador to the UAE on the incident, External Affairs Minister SM Krishna said on Thursday.
"I am expecting a report from our Ambassador (MK Lokesh)...Only after seeing (the) report.....Could we come to a conclusion...” Krishna told reporters here.
An Indian fisherman was killed and three were wounded on Monday when a security team onboard a US Navy ship fired at their small boat off Dubai. The fishing boat had four Indians and two Emirate nationals on board when the incident took place in Jabel Ali, a frequent docking point for American naval vessels about 30 miles southwest of Dubai.
Asked about a leading defence expert recently projecting that China will attack India by 2012 to divert attention of its own people from "unprecedented" internal dissent, growing unemployment and financial problems that are threatening the hold of Communists in that country, Krishna dismissed it as "unthinkable".
"It is unthinkable (that China would attack India)", he said.
Krishna also referred to his meeting Chinese Foreign Minister at a conference in Japan, adding, he does not think any country would wage a war against another even to solve its internal problems.
He welcomed the BCCI decision to revive bilateral cricketing ties with Pakistan.
"I welcome the decision of both the countries...This will further cement the bilateral relationship. I will be visiting Islamabad in the second week of September".
On the growing clamour in Congress for Rahul Gandhi to play a bigger role, the former Karnataka Chief Minister said "how can I speak about...So many suggestions that are afloat...He is the best man to judge whether to hold position (in the party) or come into the government as Prime Minister has invited him to join government".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre