Can come to conclusion only after envoy`s report: Krishna
Bangalore: India can come to a "conclusion" on the killing of its fisherman in firing from a US Navy ship off Dubai coast based on the report of its Ambassador to the UAE on the incident, External Affairs Minister SM Krishna said on Thursday.
"I am expecting a report from our Ambassador (MK Lokesh)...Only after seeing (the) report.....Could we come to a conclusion...” Krishna told reporters here.
An Indian fisherman was killed and three were wounded on Monday when a security team onboard a US Navy ship fired at their small boat off Dubai. The fishing boat had four Indians and two Emirate nationals on board when the incident took place in Jabel Ali, a frequent docking point for American naval vessels about 30 miles southwest of Dubai.
Asked about a leading defence expert recently projecting that China will attack India by 2012 to divert attention of its own people from "unprecedented" internal dissent, growing unemployment and financial problems that are threatening the hold of Communists in that country, Krishna dismissed it as "unthinkable".
"It is unthinkable (that China would attack India)", he said.
Krishna also referred to his meeting Chinese Foreign Minister at a conference in Japan, adding, he does not think any country would wage a war against another even to solve its internal problems.
He welcomed the BCCI decision to revive bilateral cricketing ties with Pakistan.
"I welcome the decision of both the countries...This will further cement the bilateral relationship. I will be visiting Islamabad in the second week of September".
On the growing clamour in Congress for Rahul Gandhi to play a bigger role, the former Karnataka Chief Minister said "how can I speak about...So many suggestions that are afloat...He is the best man to judge whether to hold position (in the party) or come into the government as Prime Minister has invited him to join government".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls