Can hoisting national flag be a bail condition?
New Delhi: Can an accused be compelled to
hoist the national flag and serve an orphanage for a week as a
pre-condition for grant of bail?
The Supreme Court will examine the question on a petition
filed by two accused-- Thamizharasan and V Bharathi.
A bench of Justices B Sudershan Reddy and Deepak Verma
sought a response from Tamil Nadu government on the duo`s
petition challenging the "abnormal conditions" imposed by the
Madras High Court in a case relating to alleged attempt to
burn the national flag.
The High Court had imposed the conditions on the
ground that it was necessary to inculcate a sense of
"fundamental duties" in the citizens as there was a growing
trend among agitators in the country to burn national flags,
damage trains and other public properties.
According to the prosecution, on April 25, 2009 around
10.15 a.m, the two accused assembled in front of the District
Collector`s office in Coimbatore and attempted to burn the
Indian and Sri Lankan flags to protest alleged genocide
committed on Tamils by Sri Lankan army.
They were arrested on the charge of dishonouring the
national flag and the sessions court refused to grant them
bail, after which the accused approached the High Court.
The high court had on May 18 granted bail to the
accused subject to the condition that-- Thamizharasan and V
Bharathi would hoist the national flag in front of their
respective homes every day for a week and serve a local
orphanage/welfare home during the period.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know