Can UPA push Quota Bill through Rajya Sabha?
New Delhi: The Upper House of Parliament, the Rajya Sabha, is set to witness another stormy day over the controversial Bill on quote in promotions.
On Monday, slogan-shouting members of the Samajwadi Party (SP) had forced adjournment of the House for the day. The ruckus followed after Minister of State for Personnel V Narayanasamy sought to move the Quota Bill.
While the SP says it will not allow the Bill to be discussed in the House come what may, the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) said it will not let the House to function if the Bill is not taken up for discussion.
BSP chief Mayawati has said it would take "a tough stand" against the government if the latter fails to push through the Bill.
"We will wait and see and if the government does not pass this Bill, we will be forced to take a tough stand. We can go to any extent," Mayawati said, as reported by NDTV.
Mulayam Singh Yadav`s SP, on the other hand, has warned that it would continue to disrupt the House if the government attempts to push through the Bill.
"We will disrupt the House and not allow it to function if the Bill is passed...We will continue to oppose the Bill and we are ready for suspension," SP leader Ram Gopal Yadav told reporters yesterday.
The Bill, a major demand of the BSP, seeks to provide reservations in promotions to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon