Can UPA push Quota Bill through Rajya Sabha?
New Delhi: The Upper House of Parliament, the Rajya Sabha, is set to witness another stormy day over the controversial Bill on quote in promotions.
On Monday, slogan-shouting members of the Samajwadi Party (SP) had forced adjournment of the House for the day. The ruckus followed after Minister of State for Personnel V Narayanasamy sought to move the Quota Bill.
While the SP says it will not allow the Bill to be discussed in the House come what may, the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) said it will not let the House to function if the Bill is not taken up for discussion.
BSP chief Mayawati has said it would take "a tough stand" against the government if the latter fails to push through the Bill.
"We will wait and see and if the government does not pass this Bill, we will be forced to take a tough stand. We can go to any extent," Mayawati said, as reported by NDTV.
Mulayam Singh Yadav`s SP, on the other hand, has warned that it would continue to disrupt the House if the government attempts to push through the Bill.
"We will disrupt the House and not allow it to function if the Bill is passed...We will continue to oppose the Bill and we are ready for suspension," SP leader Ram Gopal Yadav told reporters yesterday.
The Bill, a major demand of the BSP, seeks to provide reservations in promotions to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday