Can you get Y security just because you are ex-minister, SC asks ex-BSP minister
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday expressed surprise over former ministers getting security cover and questioned an ex-minister in Uttar Pradesh for seeking police protection.
"Can you get Y security just because you are an ex-minister? We are unable to understand," a bench of justices Gyan Sudha Misra and Madan B Lokur asked Ramveer Upadhyay, a minister in the previous Mayawati government who was stripped of his security when the Samajwadi Party came to power in Uttar Pradesh.
The bench refused to pass any order on the plea of Upadhyay saying that he should file an application before the Allahabad High Court before whom his case pertaining to police protection is pending.
The bench, however, said that it would hear his case and would like the assistance of the Uttar Pradesh government counsel on June 5 to ascertain the type of threat perception faced by the BSP leader.
Upadhyay was given Y security cover during Mayawati regime but the present Samajwadi Party government withdrew the protection and he was provided only an armed constable for his protection.
Senior advocate UU Lalit, appearing for the ex-minister, contended that his client was attacked six times and needed protection. He said that security was withdrawn because of change of government in the state.
The bench, however, said that it cannot pass any order without hearing the view of the state government and posted the matter for June 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen