Canada to open foreign credential office in India
Toronto: Canada plans to establish a key office in India to facilitate recognition of foreign credentials, a move likely to help Indian immigrants seeking jobs in the country.
"We want newcomers to be able to use their skills as soon as possible in Canada," Jason Kenney, the Citizenship and Immigration Minister, said, adding that in the past immigrants arrived at the airport only to sink or swim.
Kenney said the government proposed to open new offices in India, China, the Philippines and Britain for recognition of foreign credentials.
The Canadian Immigration Integration Project (CIIP), which began in 2007 as a pilot programme, will get USD 15 million over the next three years to expand its services in India, China and the Philippines, as well as to open a new office in London.
The new office will serve prospective immigrants to Scandinavian countries, Britain and the Gulf States.
However, Canadian MP Olivia Chow said the government needs to improve the recognition of foreign credentials.
She said the government was still announcing half measures as the current plan of recognising foreign credentials would not happen until December 2013.
Chow said the government should expand mentorship, bridging and internships programmes for immigrants in Canada and expand opportunities for new immigrants in the federal government.
The CIIP offers prospective immigrants a variety of services, including information about labour market in Canada and ways to apply for jobs and how to get their university credentials recognised.
The service has helped 7,000 people so far, Kenney said, rattling off examples of recent immigrants who successfully got jobs in Canada after being helped by the CIIP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- SC rejects review petition of Telangana for division of assets
- VIDEO! Lionel Messi wins UEFA 'Goal of the Season' award for scoring this beauty
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra's mushy love in 'Baar Baar Dekho' new still is just so aww!
- Bodo outfits to restart statehood movement on August 30
- 92 paise insurance premium for train travellers from August 31