Canadian Foreign Minister to visit India next month
Toronto: Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird will visit India next month to strengthen bilateral economic ties between the two countries.
During the visit, Baird will review the current status of bilateral negotiations underway, such as the comprehensive economic partnership agreement (CEPA) and the implementation of the Nuclear Cooperation Agreement.
"We look forward to welcoming Minister John Baird to India in September," Preeti Saran, Consul General of India said here yesterday while addressing a reception organised by the Indian Consulate to commemorate the 66th Independence day.
Several ministers and members of parliament from Ontario government including Harinder Takhar, Kathleen Wynn and Eric Hoskins, senator Asha Seth, Honorary Lt Col and noted financial service specialist, Hari Pandey and other dignitaries were among those who were present on the occasion.
Saran said that the preparations were also underway for Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper`s visit to India.
"India has identified education, innovation, renewable energy, clean technologies, energy efficiency, mining, infrastructure, and agriculture as priority areas of cooperation," Saran said.
"Canada has great strengths in these areas, we can work together to mutual benefit," she added.
Commending contributions made by Indo-Canadians, Saran said: "One of the greatest strengths of Canada is its ability to welcome and assimilate people from across the world. This includes more than one million people of Indian origin who are the greatest asset in our bilateral relations."
Speaking on the occasion, Bal Ghosal, Canadian Minister said; "Canada and India have longstanding and positive bilateral relations built upon shared traditions of democracy, pluralism and strong interpersonal connections with an Indian diaspora of more than one million in Canada."
Ghosal said that two-way merchandise trade reached nearly USD 5.2 billion in 2011, an increase of 23.4 percent from 2010.
The Minister extended his heartfelt greetings to people of India and read a message of the Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
A cultural program was also organised to mark the occasion.
Several Indo-Canadian organisations who participated in the India parade were also presented certificates for their outstanding performance.
Earlier in the day, a brief ceremony held at the Indian Consulate in Toronto, Saran unfurled the Indian national tricolour amidst the singing of the Indian national anthem.
Saran read the message of the President Pranab Mukherjee to nation in English and excerpts in Hindi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly