Canadian PM pays obeisance at Golden Temple
Amritsar: Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper Wednesday arrived in Amritsar at the Golden Temple, the holiest Sikh shrine, to pay obeisance.
Harper was accorded a warm welcome by Sikh religious leaders at the Golden Temple complex when he arrived here with a big entourage.
Dressed in a black suit, Harper covered his head with a white cloth-scarf.
Earlier, he was received at the Rajasansi airport here by Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal and Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) president Avtar Singh Makkar and taken to the shrine.
Tight security measures have been in place at the shrine since morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa