Cancellation of Indo-Pak talks casts shadow on Modi-Sharif meet at UNGA
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: India on Monday cancelled the Foreign Secretary-level talks with Pakistan after the latter`s envoy here met Kashmiri separatist leaders ahead of the bilateral parleys.
The decision has cast a shadow on the likely meet between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif, on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly in the United States next month.
Speculation is rife that PM Modi may not meet his Pakistani counterpart in the wake of the meeting between High Commissioner Abdul Basit and Hurriyat leaders, as well as continuing ceasefire violations along the Line of Control and International Border in Jammu and Kashmir.
The Foreign Secretary-level talks were to be held after a hiatus of two years. And the main focus of the talks was to finalise the agenda for the Modi-Sharif meet in September.
India has termed Pakistan`s engagement with Kashmiri separatist leaders and "the continued efforts to interfere" in its internal affairs as “unacceptable”.
Pakistan, in turn, described the decision as a "setback" to its efforts to promote good neighbourly relations.
"Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh`s visit to Islamabad for talks on August 25 stands cancelled," External Affairs spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said, adding that "no useful purpose will be served" by her visit.
"Indian Foreign Secretary conveyed to the Pakistan High Commissioner today, in clear and unambiguous terms, that Pakistan`s continued efforts to interfere in India`s internal affairs were unacceptable. It was underlined that the High Commissioner`s meetings with these so called leaders of the Hurriyat undermines the constructive diplomatic engagement initiated by Prime Minister Modi in May on his very first day in office," the spokesperson added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video