Can`t check snooping software on foreign equipment: DRDO
New Delhi: India does not have the capability to check the presence of malwares or snooping virus in weapon systems acquired by the defence forces from foreign countries, DRDO said on Friday.
"It is very difficult to access in an integrated system whether there is malware because we at first place we don`t know what is there. Nobody is giving you the source code for all the equipment which is there.
"So that challenge will remain and we will have to see what can be done in such environment or what level of assessment can be done," DRDO chief Avinash Chander told a press conference here.
He was asked whether India has a capability to check for malware or snooping devices in military systems acquired by it from abroad such as American C-17 and C-130J Super Hercules aircraft.
Asked whether such a scenario makes India`s military equipment vulnerable to hacking, he said, "In today`s world, you have to make sure that your critical systems are secure even if you are interfacing with the not so secure systems.
"The core is protected but the peripherals have to be used as they are. That technology is being developed."
On steps been taken by the defence research body to tackle the escalating cyber threats to defence communication equipment, Chander said, "We have launched our own programme to secure local area networks, and controlled networks.
"We are working on secure mobile systems and developing our own Avdhani processors so that we have total control. We have own routers and operating systems and analysis systems."
He said DRDO was working with many other agencies in the country to create a secure environment for controlled networks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide