Can`t have saving institutions for men: Jairam
New Delhi: "Women save money, men spend. We can`t have saving institutions for men," Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh said Thursday.
He said this while rejecting Kerala`s Congress-led Government`s demand that the funds allocated under National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM) for poverty alleviation programme in the state should be extended to male-centric missions too.
"NRLM is for women, not for men. This is official. Kerala Government wants to open NRLM to men and I will say no. NRLM is for women. The essence of SHG (Self Help Group) explains it. Women save it, men spend. We can`t have saving institutions for men," the Minister said at Livelihood India Conference here.
Kerala is witnessing a controversy over the issue as Kerala Rural Development Minister K C Joseph had earlier lashed out at Ramesh for his firm stand that the central funds for the state-level poverty eradication and women empowerment missions would be made available to only "Kudumbashree".
Ramesh`s strong support to Kudumbashree, the state`s nodal agency for NRLM, has disappointed sections in the state Congress who have been complaining that Kudumbashree has been hijacked by the CPI(M).
They also want alleged pro-Congress "Janasree Mission" to be considered for liberal central support.
During his interactions with the delegates, Ramesh also said, "We have to be very very careful about how to spend public money" and cautioned against "political capture which is certainly one threat" that the SHG organisations face in some states.
Joseph had taken a strong exception to Ramesh`s stand that it would be difficult for the Centre to provide funds for any agency other than Kudumbashree, which has a successful track record over the years.
Alleging that Ramesh did not heed to the state`s views on the matter, Joseph had said the state government would not beg from the central government.
During his visit to the state capital last month, Ramesh had taken a firm stand that there was no question of the Centre permitting replacement of Kudumbasree Poverty Eradication Mission by any other agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter