Can`t pass order prohibiting kin practising in same court: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday said it cannot pass a judicial order on the plea seeking to prohibit the kith and kin of sitting judges of the apex court and high courts from practicing in the same courts and said any matters relating to violation of code of conduct have to be dealt by the Bar Council of India or state Bar Associations.
"This is not the function of the court. File a complaint for stopping such practice. If any member of the Bar who is not following the professional ethics, be it the son of a judge, file a complaint (with BCI or state Bar associations). There cannot be a judicial order," a bench headed by Chief Justice R M Lodha said.
"Whatever be the status, take the complaint to a logical conclusion and lead it with evidence," the bench, also comprising justices M B Lokur and Kurian Joseph, said.
The bench made the remarks while declining to entertain a PIL seeking to prohibit the kith and kin of sitting judges of the apex court and high courts from practicing in the same courts.
While the bench was dismissing the petition, advocate M L Sharma, who had filed the plea, preferred to withdraw it.
In an interaction with journalists after taking oath as the 41st CJI yesterday, Justice Lodha had said that there is nothing that a judge can do in such matters and it is upto the Bar to be "pro-active" and take action.
"Bar has the disciplinary control over the members. It is for the Bar to take action and closely follow the conduct of the members. What can a judge do if some lawyers do not adhere to ethics. Rules are there and Bar has to take action," he had said.
"If my son or daughter does not follow the code of conduct then Bar has to take action. Unfortunately, the role which the Bar is required to play is not being played by the Bar and unfortunately we are blamed," he had said.
The petition, in which the Centre, BCI, the apex
regulatory body of lawyers, were made respondents, alleged that "practicing of kith and kin of judges is another face of corruption".
Prohibiting them from practicing in the same courts would reinstate faith and value of the judiciary, the petition said.
The lawyer said that the Supreme Court, in its Full Court Meeting in 1997, had adopted a Charter of `The Restatement of Values of Judicial Life` which said a judge should not permit any member of his immediate family, such as spouse, son, daughter, son-in-law or daughter-in-law or any other close relative, if a member of the Bar, to appear before him or even be associated in any manner with a cause to be dealt with by him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly