Can`t push beyond a point: Shinde on state law and order scene
New Delhi: Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Friday made it clear that the Centre cannot "push beyond a point" the law and order issue of a state as it was the prerogative of the state government.
Asked about the clarification sought by the Centre from Uttar Pradesh government on the Muzaffarnagar riots which remained unanswered, he said, "We can ask till a time. We cannot push beyond a point as law and order is a state subject."
The Centre`s queries included reasons behind the delayed response from the state police and release of youths without proper verification.
Asked to comment on reports that Pakistan-based Lashker-e -Taiba (LeT) had planned the riots, Shinde said there was no such input but Intelligence agencies had warned of a communal flare up in the area.
"There was no input about Lasker-e-Taiba. However, we had inputs that such a `gadbadi` (violence) is supposed to take place," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police