Can`t push beyond a point: Shinde on state law and order scene
New Delhi: Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Friday made it clear that the Centre cannot "push beyond a point" the law and order issue of a state as it was the prerogative of the state government.
Asked about the clarification sought by the Centre from Uttar Pradesh government on the Muzaffarnagar riots which remained unanswered, he said, "We can ask till a time. We cannot push beyond a point as law and order is a state subject."
The Centre`s queries included reasons behind the delayed response from the state police and release of youths without proper verification.
Asked to comment on reports that Pakistan-based Lashker-e -Taiba (LeT) had planned the riots, Shinde said there was no such input but Intelligence agencies had warned of a communal flare up in the area.
"There was no input about Lasker-e-Taiba. However, we had inputs that such a `gadbadi` (violence) is supposed to take place," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price