Can`t think of national security without securing cyber space: Menon
Chandigarh: National Security Advisor (NSA) Shivshankar Menon today said science has always been a major factor in security. Addressing the Indian Academy of Science`s (IASc) annual meeting on the issue of Science and Security here today, Menon said there has been intimate connection between science and warfare and its significance has only changed with times.
"The technological changes have only brought the change of pace. Over the period of time, science has also brought changes in the warfare, war strategies, tactics and compositions of Army," he said.
"Before nuclear weapons, the main purpose was to win war, now main contention is to avoid war," he said.
Menon stressed the issue of securing cyber space. "We can not think of national security without thinking of cyber security," he added.
The National Security Advisor said India is fortunate to have world class scientists and a supportive government.
Responding to a question from the audience, Menon said that India has one of the best record in making distinction between our citizens and the enemy. "We have maintained it since Independence and we must maintain distinction", he said.
In another query, he said that number of deaths due to terrorism has declined in India. "Less people died in India than the US," he said.
Menon said, "In one year, 52 to 54 terrorist modules were busted which is a big number but we do not publicise them as we don?t want our enemy to know that".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- IPL 2015: Not easy for fast bowler to win many MOM in one season, says Ashish Nehra