Can`t think of national security without securing cyber space: Menon
Chandigarh: National Security Advisor (NSA) Shivshankar Menon today said science has always been a major factor in security. Addressing the Indian Academy of Science`s (IASc) annual meeting on the issue of Science and Security here today, Menon said there has been intimate connection between science and warfare and its significance has only changed with times.
"The technological changes have only brought the change of pace. Over the period of time, science has also brought changes in the warfare, war strategies, tactics and compositions of Army," he said.
"Before nuclear weapons, the main purpose was to win war, now main contention is to avoid war," he said.
Menon stressed the issue of securing cyber space. "We can not think of national security without thinking of cyber security," he added.
The National Security Advisor said India is fortunate to have world class scientists and a supportive government.
Responding to a question from the audience, Menon said that India has one of the best record in making distinction between our citizens and the enemy. "We have maintained it since Independence and we must maintain distinction", he said.
In another query, he said that number of deaths due to terrorism has declined in India. "Less people died in India than the US," he said.
Menon said, "In one year, 52 to 54 terrorist modules were busted which is a big number but we do not publicise them as we don?t want our enemy to know that".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy