Cantonments entitled for JNNURM funds: P Raju
Hyderabad: Cantonments in the country can
utilise funds under the Jawharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal
Mission (JNNURM) like municipalities, Union Minister of State
for Defence Pallam Raju said here today.
Raju told PTI here that he has written to cantonments
in this regard and asked to utilise funds under JNNURM for
their development works.
Referring to the problems being faced by cantonments,
Raju, who is in-charge of cantonments, said that after the "73
and 74 Amendment Act" cantonments are also being treated as
deemed municipalities and they are entitled to use funds just
like any municipalities under the state governments.
"Cantonments are entitled for funds under the JNNRUM,
but many of the cantonments were unaware this," Raju said.
Hence he has now written to all cantonments asking to utilise
the funds for their development.
Admitting that cantonments were facing problems, he
said that steps are being taken to solve the problems and
improve them by utilising the available funds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!