Cap borewells to save children, SC tells govt
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Friday directed
the Centre and states to ensure capping of borewells, which in
recent years have become death traps for a number of children.
A bench of Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan, Justices B
S Chauhan and K S Radhakrishnan asked some of the states to
file their response on the steps taken so far to prevent
recurrence of such incidents.
The bench passed the direction after senior counsel and
amicus curiae (friend of court) Paramjit Singh Patwalia
informed it that adequate response has not been received so
far despite the apex court`s earlier direction on February 13.
The apex court passed the direction while treating a
letter as petition to evolve measures for prevention of fatal
accidents of small children falling into abandoned borewells
and tube wells.
It had issued notices to the Centre and some states like
Uttar Pradesh, Harayana, Rajasthan and Punjab which in recent
years witnessed such incidents requiring even the help of Army
in rescue operations.
Several incidents of children falling into borewells have
come to light since a boy, Prince, was rescued by the Army
after two days of massive operation in 2006 in Kurukshetra
district of Haryana.
Like Prince, a small girl Vandana was also rescued by the
Army in Agra last year after a 26-hour ordeal, but others like
two-year-old Sonu in the same city were not so lucky as he
died by the time help reached him a 150-feet-deep borewell.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray