Cap borewells to save children, SC tells govt
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Friday directed
the Centre and states to ensure capping of borewells, which in
recent years have become death traps for a number of children.
A bench of Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan, Justices B
S Chauhan and K S Radhakrishnan asked some of the states to
file their response on the steps taken so far to prevent
recurrence of such incidents.
The bench passed the direction after senior counsel and
amicus curiae (friend of court) Paramjit Singh Patwalia
informed it that adequate response has not been received so
far despite the apex court`s earlier direction on February 13.
The apex court passed the direction while treating a
letter as petition to evolve measures for prevention of fatal
accidents of small children falling into abandoned borewells
and tube wells.
It had issued notices to the Centre and some states like
Uttar Pradesh, Harayana, Rajasthan and Punjab which in recent
years witnessed such incidents requiring even the help of Army
in rescue operations.
Several incidents of children falling into borewells have
come to light since a boy, Prince, was rescued by the Army
after two days of massive operation in 2006 in Kurukshetra
district of Haryana.
Like Prince, a small girl Vandana was also rescued by the
Army in Agra last year after a 26-hour ordeal, but others like
two-year-old Sonu in the same city were not so lucky as he
died by the time help reached him a 150-feet-deep borewell.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Leander Paes-Martina Hingis, Sania Mirza-Ivan Dodig pairs ease into 2016 French Open pre-quarters
- Nifty ends May F&O series above 8,000-mark, up 135 points
- Zlatan Ibrahamovic praises Jose Mourinho but refuses to name next club
- Learn in 5 steps to make easy money on YouTube!
- Monaco Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton fastest in practice after drain cover drama