Capacity to build consensus hallmark of true leader: President
Mumbai: The capacity to build consensus is the hallmark of a true leader in a democracy, President Pranab Mukherjee said here on Saturday.
"In the earlier days, it was bravery and muscle power which determined the leaders. But in a democracy, it is the capacity to build consensus and carry people along that determines the true leader", he said.
Mukherjee was speaking at the closing ceremony of the birth centenary celebration of Maharashtra`s first Chief Minister Yashwantrao Chavan here this evening. The President paid glowing tributes to late Chavan, calling him the architect of modern Maharashtra.
Recalling Chavan`s role as the first Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Mukherjee said "his was not an easy task when Maharashtra was formed in 1960 with Mumbai as its capital. Mumbai had already become the financial capital of the country and a true cosmopolitan city. He had to convince the industry that the investment climate will remain conducive even after formation of a linguistic state and he succeeded".
Remembering the role of Chavan as Defence Minister in the aftermath of India-China war, Mukherjee said "with his single-minded commitment, Chavan raised the morale of Indian Armed Forces which resulted in decisive victories in 1965 and 1971 wars".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months