Capt Kalia case: India awaits response from Pak
New Delhi: India hopes to get a "correct response" from Pakistan on the issue of death of Captain Saurabh Kalia, who was tortured and killed by Pakistan Army personnel during the Kargil war in 1999.
"This has been a very sad and condemnable incident that has taken place, which the Indian government has condemned. And it is something that we hope that we will get a correct response to what we have asked from Pakistan. That is all I can say at the moment," Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur said.
She was asked about British lawyer of Indian origin Jas Uppal planning to raise the issue of the Captain`s death before the Committee of Human Rights of British Parliament. Uppal has launched an international campaign to highlight the case.
In May 1999, Captain Kalia had gone out for patrol duty in Kaksar area of Kargil along with five other soldiers --Sepoys Arjunram Baswana, Mula Ram Bidiasar, Naresh Singh Sinsinwar, Bhanwar Lal Bagaria and Bhika Ram Mudh.
They were caught by the Pakistan Army, which kept them in captivity for over 22 days and subjected them to brutal torture which was evident from their bodies that were handed over by the Pakistan Army to India on June 9, 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!