Captain arrested for causing accident that sank ICG ship
Mumbai: A Filipino captain of a merchant ship has been arrested on charges of rash navigation after his vessel collided with a stationary Indian Coast Guard (ICG) ship that sank on Tuesday.
Police are also probing if sabotage was involved and ICG has also instituted an inquiry to establish what exactly had happened on the day of the incident.
"The Panamanian vessel Global Purity`s captain
Sarigumba Sarjeovillas, who allegedly lost control over his
ship and caused an accident, was arrested yesterday," said M
Kurde, Inspector of Yellow gate police station.
Following the accident, the sophisticated Rs 300-crore
Coast Guard ship developed cracks, tilted to one side and
sank. The 74x12 meter Coast Guard vessel was anchored when the
merchant ship crashed into it.
Filipino captain Sarjeovillas was booked under
sections 280 (Rash navigation of vessel) and 336 (Act
endangering life or personal safety of others) of Indian Penal
Code, Kurde said.
The Panamanian vessel Global Purity had collided with
the stationery coast guard ship `Vivek` that was undergoing
repairs at berth No.10 of Indira Docks.
"We are also probing the incident from all angles
including the possibility of a sabotage. The captain of the
merchant ship, in his statement, claimed that he lost control
of the ship due to less depth near the Indira Dock following
which his ship hit the Coast Guard vessel," Kurde said.
ICGS Vivek was a 20-year-old platform inducted in
the Coast Guard on August 19, 1989.
"We have recorded the statements of all 16 crew
members of the merchant ship who claimed that it was purely an
accident," Kurde said.
The statements of 20 of 59 crew members of ICG who
were on the ship Vivek had also been recorded, he said.
Taking serious note of the incident, ICG was inquiring
into the matter to ascertain the chain of events that led to
the merchant vessel to venture so close to a defence vessel
and hit it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow