Captain of Pak-bound ship with explosives quizzed
Kolkata: The captain of the Karachi-bound
ship, laden with military hardware, ammunition and explosives,
was on Saturday questioned after the papers provided by him were not
in order and officials said the vessel is being brought to the
Kolkata Port for scrutiny.
"Papers and documents furnished by the captain of the
ship, Aegean Glory Kingstown, to police and customs teams were
inconsistent," Director General of Police(DGP) Bhupinder Singh
told reporters here.
"Customs have now decided to completely rummage the
ship. This could mean opening of all the containers and
verifying the contents..for this purpose, they will be
bringing the ship to the Kolkata Port," he said.
The Karachi-bound cargo vessel from Bangladesh with
military hardware and explosives was yesterday detained by the
police at Diamond Harbour in West Bengal`s South 24 Parganas
The police, Coast Guard and Customs have cordoned off
the Liberian registered ship S G Zyat sailing from Chittagong
The Navy and Coast Guard personnel after boarding the
153-metre ship yesterday found a huge quantity of explosives,
rocket launchers, anti-aircraft guns and smoke bombs in two
"Details of the consignment were not given in the
list furnished to us and further searches will be made in the
arms-laden ship," Singh said.
The captain was deboarded and taken for questioning at
Radisson Fort, police said.
DIG (CID) Anuj Sharma, South 24 Parganas SP L N Meena
and customs officials visited the vessel anchored at Diamond
Harbour on a hovercraft. No boat was allowed near it.
Describing the incident as "alarming", they said "it`s
surprising why the Pakistani-bound vessel was passing through
Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) S
Karpurakayastha said "the ship was detained on an intelligence
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now